The Country Scene
Country Music in Champaign Urbana
The News Gazette published a series called ‘Music Month” in e3 in March, 2012 and it was an excellent overview. Paul Woods wrote the second installment on country dives and here is a brief list:
1. The Rose Bowl at 106 N Race, Urbana has to be number 1. Founded in 1946 (when country was country) this place has a real bar, bands 3 nights a week or so and features some regulars such as The Feudin Hilbillys and some big names like Dale Watson. We recently saw Bill Kirchen there (Hot Rod Lincoln) – great show!
Country Music Venues in Champaign Urbana
3. The Bement Country Opry- its in Bement, just drive around and you’ll find it- has some great weekend twangin’ and features a house band.
4. The Eagles Lodge, 605 Edgebrook Dr, C is a fave on weekends.
5.The Urbana VFW has periodic live acts.
6. Memphis on Main has all kinds of music but will be a place for modern country (is that an oxymoron?) now and then.
7. The Sidney Saloon (leave your six shooter at the door,boys) , 204 S David, Sidney, “has booked interesting bands” says Wood. Interesting?
8. The Shady Nook in Saybrook. I have no idea.
So there you have it…”country and music” is alive and well in the Champaign Urbana music scene.